CLEVELAND,OH (WOIO) - The Cleveland Clinic is reporting more than 12 cases of people eating poisonous mushrooms since August.
"Even just half a cap off the top of a mushroom can be lethal for an adult human and a much smaller amount for any child,” said Dr. Christina Lindenmeyer.
Jeremy Umanski, a licensed wild mushroom expert and an owner of Larder Delicatessen and Bakery, said this is not surprising.
“This is people going out, seeing a mushroom, and thinking it might be another one that I can eat," he said.
The most common dangerous mushrooms are called “death cap” mushrooms (pictured below).
They’re white with umbrella shaped tops and a cup at the base of the stem.
To avoid any problems, Larder welcomes customers to come in and ask questions.
“Just before you got here, a woman came in with a bag and a bowl of different mushrooms asking what they were," Umanski said.
He said all of them were non-toxic and most of them were what’s known as the “honey mushroom.”
Umanski said they’re edible, delicious and common in this area.
“This mushroom comes up in your lawn every summer and fall and there’s big, golden blooms,” said Umanski, and asked that everyone be cautious before eating anything find outside.
Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic said only about 3 percent of mushroom varieties are poisonous.