Family asks for help with funeral expenses for 14-year-old boy who died in Stark County house fire

Family asks for help with funeral expenses for 14-year-old boy who died in Stark County house fire
Christian Werstler (Source: GoFundMe)

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The 14-year-old boy who died in a Plain Township house fire Monday afternoon has been identified.

Christian Werstler died in his home on 29th Street NE after school because of a fire that was likely caused by a space heater, according to the Plain Township Fire Department.

Firefighters rescued the boy from the home. He was then rushed to an Akron hospital, but he died from injuries sustained in the fire.

Werstler’s family established a GoFundMe page to help cover with the teen’s funeral expenses.

The boy’s mother, Alicia Roby, is pleading for others to share her son’s story in hopes that it can help others.

Please share my sons story. Please make others aware how dangerous space heaters can really be. That these fires don’t happen only at night. But they happen in the day too. Make parents aware how important fire safety is. Don’t open a door if there is smoke and not fire. Get out the window. Stay low. Plan the safety routes. (In both homes of you share custody, every home your child sleeps in!)Teach your children to call 911 first! They are trained to help you get out safely. Or to find out how to make you as safe as possible inside, until help can arrive. Those minutes they spend calling you first, the instructions and plans you drill into them, they are the difference in what can save your child.
Alicia Roby

Grief counselors were available at GlenOak High School, where Werstler attended, for students and faculty.

Copyright 2019 WOIO. All rights reserved.