Posted by Web Staff - email
SANDUSKY, OHIO (WOIO) - Cedar Point is officially open for business!
The Magnum XL-200's 20th anniversary celebration and several other special activities will highlight Opening Weekend.
In addition to Magnum's anniversary celebration, the park will also have a skydiver, scavenger hunt, an opportunity to win a John Deere tractor and special live musical presentations throughout the weekend.
Special activities at the park during its Opening Weekend include:
- Shortly before 9 a.m. on Opening Day, a skydiver will land in the Meijer "Drop Zone" near the front gate to deliver an American flag. Accompanied by The Ohio State University Spring Athletic Band, The Firelands Choir will sing The National Anthem.
- At 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, a ceremony commemorating Magnum's 20th anniversary will be held. Standing 205 feet tall and reaching speeds of 72 mph, the Magnum XL-200 was the tallest, fastest and steepest roller coaster in the world when it opened. Since 1989, the Magnum has given nearly 40 million rides. Following the ceremony, guests will be able to enjoy cake and ice cream (while supplies last) and sign a Magnum 20th anniversary banner.
As part of the ceremony, winners in an auction conducted by the Firelands Chapter of the American Red Cross will take the season's first ride on Magnum to celebrate this historic occasion. (For additional details about the auction, please CLICK HERE.
The Ohio State University Spring Athletic Band will perform at the front gate at 8:45 a.m., at the Magnum at 10:15 a.m. and from 1-1:30 p.m. on the midway near the Iron Dragon roller coaster on Saturday.
- Opening Weekend hhgregg Scavenger Hunt: On Saturday and Sunday, guests who can identify several park images will have a chance to win a home theater system from hhgregg. Winners will be drawn from all correct entries. Second prize is a GPS System, also from hhgregg. (Rules and entry forms can be obtained at Cedar Point and hhgregg stores in the Cleveland and Columbus areas.)
- Win a John Deere Tractor just for showing up. Guests can register to win a John Deere X300 Select Series Lawn Tractor, a John Deere JS25 21-inch Walk Behind Lawn Mower or one of 100 John Deere caps. The contest runs through Sunday, May 31. Entry forms can be obtained at Cedar Point's Guest Services or by mail. For more information, please visit cedarpoint.com.
- On Sunday (May 17), The Carter Twins will sing The National Anthem near the main gate at 9 a.m. The duo will also perform at the Centennial Theatre at noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. The 19-year-old brothers grew up in Akron and are one of the fastest-rising new artists featured on CMTV. Their first single, Heart Like Memphis, is already garnering national attention.
As always, riders will have plenty to do at Cedar Point. With 75 rides, including 17 roller coasters, Cedar Point has more rides and more coasters than any park in the world. Maverick and record-setting coasters such as Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force will be ready to roll. Guests will also be able to enjoy three traditional carrousels and perennial favorites such as the Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad, the 13-story Giant Wheel Ferris wheel and the Sky Ride, while Camp Snoopy and Planet Snoopy will have plenty to offer younger guests.
In between rides, guests will be able to watch some of the park's award-winning live entertainment. Got Country, a new country show, will be presented in the Red Garter Saloon while Charlie Brown's Funtime Frolics will be performed in Camp Snoopy. Four other shows will open later in the summer.
Cedar Point will be open every day through Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 7.