Brown Down: Wide Receiver Donte Stallworth has been Suspended - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Brown Down: Wide Receiver Donte Stallworth Suspended By The NFL For 09' Season

Posted by Web Staff - email | Facebook | Twitter

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth for the entire 2009 season.  The suspension comes from Stallworth violating the league's substance-abuse and personal-conduct policies.  The Browns receiver hit and killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes on March 14 in Miami.  Stallworth pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter on June 16 and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and two years house arrest.

Just this week, a judge ruled Stallworth could get a break from his house arrest to work out to stay in NFL shape.

Stallworth released a statement saying: "Commissioner Goodell called me this morning. Obviously, I am disappointed, but, as I said previously, I accept the Commissioner's decision. Regardless of the length of my suspension, I will carry the burden of Mr. Reyes' death for the rest of my life.  I urge NFL fans not to judge NFL players or me based on my tragic lapse in judgment. I am a good person who did a bad thing. I will use the period of my suspension to reflect, fulfill my obligations, and use this experience to make a positive impact on the lives of those who look up to NFL players."

As for Browns coach Eric Mangini, he said, "I can say I respect the commissioner very much, I respect the process and I respect the decision and our focus is on the task at hand and I'm getting ready for the season."

As for Stallworth's future with the Browns, "There's no decision been made, no timetable's been set," he said.



©2009 WOIO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Powered by Frankly