LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Tiger Woods has canceled plans to attend his own golf tournament in southern California because of injuries he suffered near his Florida home early Friday, according to a statement Monday from the golfer.
"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."
Woods also canceled a news conference set for Tuesday for the start of the Chevron World Challenge in Thousand Oaks, California.
Woods suffered minor injuries in a vehicle accident that occurred early Friday in his luxury neighborhood near Orlando, according to the police accident report.
State police in Florida said Monday the investigation of the single-vehicle crash "is ongoing and charges are pending."
The incident has ended Woods' golf appearances until next season, according to a statement posted on his Web site.
"Woods will not participate in any other tournaments in 2009 and will return to action next year," the statement said.
The PGA Tour has ended for the year, but the first tournament of the 2010 season is just five weeks away. At least one other charity event is scheduled, but it is not clear if Woods had planned to attend.
The Chevron World Challenge is a major fundraiser for the Tiger Woods Foundation. It will go on as planned despite the absence of its host, according to foundation President Greg McLaughlin.
"We support Tiger's decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge," McLaughlin said.
Woods is a four-time winner of the tournament. A knee injury kept him from competing last year.
In a statement issued Sunday afternoon on his Web site, Woods offered no details of his wreck except to say he had cuts and bruises and was "pretty sore."
"This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me," he said. "I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."
Last week, a story in the National Enquirer alleged that Woods has been seeing a New York nightclub hostess. The woman denied having an affair with Woods when contacted by The Associated Press.
The 33-year-old golf phenomenon has won the Masters tournament and the PGA tournament each four times, as well as three U.S. Open Championships.
According to a police report, he pulled out of his driveway about 2:25 a.m. Friday in a 2009 Cadillac SUV and struck a fire hydrant, then a tree.
Authorities have said they don't have details on why Woods was driving away from his home at such an early hour, but a police report said the wreck was not alcohol-related. State troopers have asked to question him three times about the wreck, but he canceled the third scheduled interview on Sunday, Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes told CNN.
Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, issued a statement saying, "We have been informed by the Florida Highway Patrol that further discussion with them is both voluntary and optional.
"Although Tiger realizes that there is a great deal of public curiosity, it has been conveyed to FHP that he simply has nothing more to add and wishes to protect the privacy of his family."
Under Florida law, Woods must show his license, registration and proof of insurance to police, but is not obligated to give a statement on the crash. His attorney, Mark NeJame, handed over the required documents to the troopers Sunday at Woods' home, Montes said.
"If we're unable to meet with him, we'll move on with our investigation," Montes said. But she called the delays "very unusual, because it's such a minor accident."
Investigators had sought possible surveillance tapes of the accident from neighbors, but none were found, she said.
In his statement, Woods praised his wife, Elin Nordegren, whom he said "acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble." Nordegren told police she used a golf club to break out the rear window of the vehicle, and then pulled Woods from the SUV after she heard the accident from inside their home.
But he said, "This is a private matter, and I want to keep it that way." And he added, "The only person responsible for the accident is me."
Woods and his wife have two children, a 2-year-old and a baby born in February.
-- CNN's Susan Candiotti and Ross Levitt contributed to this report.