Best Friend: Man cooks up mouth-watering feast for pet who saved him from fire

Posted by Web Staff - email | Facebook | Twitter

CANTON, OH (WOIO) - A Canton boxer certainly proved to be man's best friend after she saved her owner from a suspected arson fire.

Raymond Sweeney was saved by his dog, Daisy Mae, last Friday after flames at a neighboring vacant house quickly spread to his Louisiana Avenue home. His house burned to the ground.

Daisy Mae alerted her sleeping owner by nipping at his fingers in an effort to get him moving.

"I fell asleep on the couch and she just started freaking out...jumping on me, biting, nipping at me, running to the front door which she never really does," said Sweeney. "I opened up the door and there was an explosion that pushed me and my dog out into the street. I looked back and everything was in flames."

To show his gratitude, Sweeney grilled a porter house steak for his little four-legged lifesaver.

19 Action News talked with the Canton Fire Department and learned there are 38 open arson investigations going on since May 1st. Most of the fires have been set at vacant houses. The city has torn down 91 vacant houses this year to keep arsonists from possibly burning them down.

Copyright 2010 WOIO. All rights reserved.