Grilling Safety - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Grilling Safety

Thursday morning, a family of four in Warren, Ohio and two house guests were killed in a house fire sparked by a hot patio grill.

It's going to be another good weekend for a cookout, but following this tragedy, 19 Action News would like to list some safe grilling reminders!

  • Before using, place your grill at least 10 feet away from other objects, including the house and any shrubs or bushes.
  • Always stay by the grill when cooking.
  • Only use starter fluid made for barbecue grills when starting a fire in a charcoal grill.
  • Before using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to be sure it is working properly and not leaking.
  • Never use a match to check for leaks. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas. Do not attempt to light the grill again until the leak is fixed.
  • Never bring a barbecue grill inside your home or garage. This is both a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning hazard.
  • Keep kids and pets well away until grill equipment is completely cool.

Click here to get a free smoke detector, batteries and installation!

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly