ROCKY RIVER, OH (WOIO) - Two Rocky River senior living centers are offering the elderly relief during the summer scorcher.
The Harbor Court and Rockport Independent & Assisted Living will open their two retirement communities to seniors today and tomorrow, and offer free lunch.
There is no charge for the picnic-style lunch, but seniors must provide their own transportation.
The Harbor Court and Rockport staff remind seniors to keep cool and use common sense by offering these tips to seniors:
- Avoid hot foods and heavy meals-they add heat to your body.
- Drink plenty of fluids and replace salts and minerals in your body.
- Do not take salt tablets unless under medical supervision.
- Limit sun exposure during midday hours and in places of potential severe exposure such as beaches.
- Air-conditioning is the number one protective factor against heat-related illness and death. During conditions of extreme heat, spend time in locations with air-conditioning such as shopping malls, public libraries or public health-sponsored heat-relief shelters in your area.
The Harbor Court is located at 22900 Center Ridge Road, Rocky River, 44116. (440) 356-2282. Rockport Independent & Assisted Living is located at 20375 Center Ridge Road, Rocky River, 44116. (440) 356-5444.