Mentor man killed in house fire identified

MENTOR, OH (WOIO) - Mentor Firefighters were called to a house in Mentor Headlands overnight for a house fire.

The fire broke out around 3 a.m. at 4980 Wake Robin Drive in the kitchen of the home.

The occupant called 911 and told dispatcher he and his bird were the only ones in the house.  The dispatcher advised the man to get out of the home.

When firefighters arrived, the fire had engulfed the kitchen of the home.  The man who called 911 was standing outside the home with minor burns.

While crews were battling the blaze, firefighters located another male, Jason Sutt, 31 inside the house.  They pulled him outside and began treatment for cardiac arrest.  Sutt was taken to Lake Health Tripoint Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead just after 4 a.m. due to smoke inhalation.

According to Mentor Fire, Sutt had been dropped off at the home and the other male occupant was unaware that he was sleeping inside when the fire broke out because his car was not parked outside and because he came home after he had went to bed.

Mentor Fire tells 19 Action News that there were no working smoke detectors inside of the home and that the cause of the fire was from unattended cooking.

The home suffered about $80,000 bucks in damage.

This is the first fatal house fire in Mentor in over a decade.

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.