KENT, OH (WOIO) - Kent State University Main Campus is under an alert for a potential campus threat.
The University is advising that due to an aggravated robbery, which occurred off campus at Campus Pointe apartments in Kent this past weekend, the Portage County Sheriff's Department has just identified the suspect and issued an arrest warrant for Aaron Cardona.
Cardona is considered armed and dangerous.
Anyone who sees this individual is asked to call 9-1-1 or contact the Kent State University Police Department at 330-672-3070.
More information from the University:
Besides the presence of Kent State Police, security aides are available to provide escorts across campus each night. Call 2-7004 for an escort on campus. The security aides are in direct contact with University Police Services via two-way radios. Our well-lighted campus also includes outdoor campus phones, which can be recognized by their blue lights and can be used for emergency and non-emergency situations. Courtesy phones are located at the entrances to residence halls. Frequently used campus phone numbers are posted at each phone including numbers for emergencies, campus security, and escort and motorist assistance.
Cooperation and engagement of all students, faculty and staff in our campus safety program is our best defense against crime. We encourage all members of our campus community to take simple, commonsense precautions as a way to assume responsibility for their own safety.
Please consider these tips:
- Find safety in numbers, practice walking with a companion or in groups at night;
- Keep the doors of residences, offices and automobiles locked;
- Mark your valuables with a personal identification number in case of loss or theft;
- Have your keys ready when walking across parking lots and watch for any suspicious person or activities;
- Never leave your keys unattended in the car ignition; and
- Lock all valuables such as mobile devices, laptops, cameras, book bags, briefcases and textbooks in the trunk.