The death of a Time Warner worker sparks a Carl Monday investigation
October 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM EST - Updated June 25 at 3:31 PM
GARFIELD HEIGHTS, OH (WOIO)
19 Action News Investigator Carl Monday has a story about a local woman who lost her mom last month. Now, she has some serious questions about her death.
Was the good Samaritan who tried to save her prevented from doing everything she could?
Hundreds show up at Time Warner Cable in Garfield Hts. They're applying for customer service jobs, like the one recently held by long time employee Julia Nelson.
Last month, Julia's daughter, Vianney, buried her mom, after the 67 year old woman died Sept. 8th at her desk, at Time Warner.
"She went to Time Warner and didn't come home," said Vianney.
What Vianney didn't know, is that more could have been done, to save her mother's life.
Garfield Hts. paramedics rush to the Time Warner Call Center off McCracken around 3 PM that day.
Meantime, as Nelson lay slumped at her desk, a fellow employee begins CPR but records confirm, when EMS arrives, the patient is not breathing and contrary to red cross training, CPR is no longer being performed.
So why did the employee stop CPR? well, we tracked her down. She wouldn't go on camera, but what she told us on the phone is shocking.
The women tells us, and other employees confirm, that a supervisor ordered her to end her life saving efforts, and "get back on the phone and take care of customers."
The woman who tried to save Julia Nelson tells us yet another boss warned her, she could be "held liable if something goes wrong."
But for anyone without formal medical training, no need to wait to administer CPR. The Red Cross's Phil Trimble say there's a good Samaritan law to protect you.
"It protects lay responders, everyday people from being sued in the event that they help out in an emergency situation," said Phil Trimble.
Employees tell us Time Warner does offer CPR classes but we've learned, CPR may not have been necessary to save Julia Nelson's life.
That's because a heart defibrillator was right down the hall. Hanging on the wall of the first aid room.
One problem. The door was locked. And we're told the only person who had the key was out of the building.
We've been in contact with Garfield Police. Chief Robert Sackett says they are reviewing the incident.
Time Warner won't say much about the incident, but did release this statement: "Time Warner responded appropriately to a medical emergency. Our company has procedures in place to respond to emergencies. We are saddened by the loss of one of our employees who was a co-worker and a friend. Our thoughts are with the family during this difficult time."