Massillon apartment fire displaces 50 residents - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Massillon apartment fire displaces 50 residents

MASSILLON, OH (WOIO) -

A six-story apartment building went up into flames around 6:30pm Saturday displacing dozens of residents.

According to the Massillon Fire Department, the blaze broke out at 815 Lincoln Way E.

Massillon Police were called about a fire at the Stark Metropolitan Housing Authority building and began to evacuate approximately 100 residents. All residents were placed on SARTA buses to keep them out of the cold while firefighters got the blaze under control.

The Mayor of Massillon, Kathy Catazaro-Perry and her husband reportedly purchased pizzas and distributed them to the displaced residents aboard the SARTA buses.

According to the Canton Repository, three residents and seven Massillon police officers were sent to local hospitals for treatment.

The fire reportedly started in a fourth floor apartment.  They say the fire started because of a candle that fell on a blanket. 

Resident Joann Cornell tells us her dog saved her life, "She comes over to me, grabbed me by my pants and tried to pull me up off the couch.  "My dog is the hero, my little Dachshund saved my life and my son's life."

The American Red Cross of Stark County provided support overnight to Massillon residents impacted by the apartment fire on Lincoln Way East by giving the residents food and comfort supplies.  They even helped firefighters on the scene. 

A shelter was also opened overnight to give the displaced residents a place to stay.  The Red Cross gave further assistance to residents who still needed a place to stay after the shelter closed.

 

Copyright 2012 WOIO. All rights reserved.

 

 

 


Powered by Frankly