Fire Investigators say careless smoking started a fatal fire in Aurora, Portage County.
The blaze started around 9:30 a-m Wednesday morning at 876 Parker Road.
The victim, a woman in her 50's, had apparently been smoking in bed.
An off-duty Bainbridge firefighter who lives nearby and an Aurora police officer on patrol both tried to make entry to assist the injured woman. Both suffered smoke inhalation, and were treated and released.
The fire was contained to the victim and the victim's bed. There was smoke damage throughout the first floor of the home. Investigators say there was very little water damage.
Smoke alarms were present and did activate, but the other two occupants in the home were alerted to the fire by the injured woman.