Insider Tips for Getting Great Giveaways from Consumer Reports
Part of the fun of freebies is the opportunity to try new products. Here's a sample of ShopSmart's tips for finding freebies and avoiding letdowns:
- Act fast. The best stuff runs out quickly—so act on freebie offers before the supply is exhausted. In our hunt, pet goodies went especially quickly.
- Know when to quit. Some giveaways just aren't worth jumping through hoops; some sites will try to collect your info with no payoff. Save yourself time and trouble by reading comments on referring sites where others might have already complained about the problems.
- Share deals with others—or yourself. Some freebie offers come with a friend component. Some offers even allow you to enter your own mailing address for the giftee, and you could score two samples for yourself.
Manufacturers and retailers aren't giving their stuff away just to be nice?they usually want something in return. Here are some smart ways to minimize the aftershock of sharing your contact information:
- Create a new email address. Use it for freebies because all offers require one. When you request freebies on Facebook, you can enter an email different from the one linked to the account.
- Fudge your personal info. Many offers request names and birth dates. Make up something so that your identity remains private.
- Opt out of mailings. Usually it's presented as an option. Only two companies forced the ShopSmart team to agree to mailings before freebies could be ordered.
Where to Get Free Stuff