Akron Race for the Cure - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Akron Race for the Cure

AKRON, OH (WOIO) -

The city hosts its first Race for the Cure Sunday! Akron is now added to the list of 148 cities around the world that host this incredible event.

75% of the money raised will stay in Akron. It will be used to help under-served Akron area breast cancer patients with treatment, screening and education. The remaining 25% of funds will go towards the Susan G. Komen National Research Grant program.

The home of the Akron Racers, the professional softball team, is where the race started and the finish line and the closing ceremony is at Firestone Country Club.

Diane Montville, the 2012 Chair of the Akron Race has had a personal tie to the breast health movement for the past 12 years. "I'm a two-time breast cancer survivor and am thankful for each and every day that I wake up healthy. It is because of the efforts of Susan G. Komen for the Cure that I am alive today. Education, awareness and treatment saved my life more than once. I'm passionate about the Race for the Cure and for the opportunity to serve as Chair for a 4th time."

Powered by Frankly