The RTA Police force has lost K-9 team member Kantor, one of RTA's original K-9s. Sgt. John Gates was his handler.
Kantor was not only Sgt. Gates' canine partner, but part of his family for the last 8 years. Kantor passed away from complications from cancer.
There will be a memorial ceremony Tuesday at 10 a.m. for Kantor.
Kantor was one of our original K-9s and was very good at his job. He worked with Sgt. John Gates in explosive detection, as well as patrol of the system, and also had the ability to do human tracking and apprehension.
Here are some other facts about Kantor and his role with the force:
- Sgt. Gates/K-9 Kantor are one of seven teams; each includes an officer (handler) and K-9 (canine)
- Explosive Detection on trains, buses, all RTA property
- Assist Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) Team
- Assist Anti-Terrorism Team
- Regularly asked to assist neighboring communities that don't have dedicated explosive detection teams
- Dogs live with their handlers; are part of their families
- RTA maintains an on-call schedule for around-the-clock incident response
RTA extends condolences to Sgt. John Gates and his family for their loss and other K-9 teams around the region will be there to support him as well.