9 volt battery dangers - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

9 volt battery dangers

Consumers use 9V batteries in the home and office. Many smoke detectors  use this type of battery, as do clocks, some types of flashlights and walkie talkies. Owners of a 9V battery should check a new battery and a used battery periodically to make sure the seal is unbroken. Each battery comes hermetically sealed and are safe to handle. However, if the seal breaks, hazardous materials inside the battery, such as potassium hydroxide and manganese dioxide, can cause various health hazards.

1. Contents from a damaged 9V battery, if swallowed by an animal or child, can cause serious chemical burns of the mouth, esophagus and intestinal tract. If swallowing occurs, do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention immediately.

2. Breathing in the gases from an exposed 9V battery can cause minor to severe respiratory irritation. Particularly vulnerable are those who struggle with asthma or other respiratory conditions. Released gases can occur when burning a 9V battery as well. Get fresh air immediately if you breath in vapors for a 9V battery and seek medical attention if you experience any respiratory distress.

3. Exposure to the skin or eyes from chemicals inside a 9V battery can be dangerous. Irritation and potentially severe burning can occur. Remove clothes exposed to the chemicals immediately, and wash skin with soap and water. If skin irritation persists seek medical attention. Rinse the exposed eye for 15 minutes with water, lifting both eyelids. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

4. Always dispose of 9V batteries in the trash or take them to a recycling center. Never burn the batteries. The heat from the fire can create pressure inside the battery, causing a small explosion that can produce injury or fire do to thrown materials and chemicals from the battery.

Powered by Frankly