• If you are outdoors between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active, be sure to wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, shoes and socks.
• Light colors are least attractive to mosquitoes.
• Use mosquito repellent when outdoors. Products with these ingredients should be used: DEET, Picaridin, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus or PMD - the synthesized version of oil of lemon eucalyptus. Follow label directions.
• Remove all discarded tires and other water-holding containers, such as tin cans and unused flowerpots, pet food and water dishes from your property.
• Eliminate standing water from your property.
• Make sure all roof gutters are clean and properly draining.
• Clean and chlorinate pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. Keep them empty when not in use, and drain water from pool covers.
• Change water in birdbaths weekly.
Copyright 2012 WOIO. All rights reserved.
To eliminate mosquito breeding sites near your home: