- Rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden completed 22 of 35 passes for 291 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. His 1,288 passing yards this season are the second-most by an NFL rookie through five games. Weeden's 62 yard touchdown pass to Josh Gordon in the first quarter was the longest touchdown pass by a Browns rookie since Tim Couch connected with Terry Kirby for a 78-yard score on November 28, 1999. Weeden's pass today was the fourth-longest touchdown pass by a Browns rookie.
MOST PASSING YARDS BY AN NFL ROOKIE THROUGH FIRST FIVE GAMES
Player Team Year Total
1. Cam Newton Carolina 2011 1,610
2. Brandon Weeden Cleveland 2012 1,288
3. Ryan Tannehill Miami 2012 1,269
4. Robert Griffin III Washington 2012 1,161
5. Sam Bradford St. Louis 2010 1,159
*Indianapolis rookie Andrew Luck has 1,208 passing yards through four games this season.
LONGEST TOUCHDOWN PASS BY A BROWNS ROOKIE
Player Date Opponent Distance
1. Tim Couch 11/28/99 Tennessee 78
2. Bernie Kosar 10/13/85 at Houston 68
3. Tim Couch 10/3/99 New England 64
4. Brandon Weeden 10/7/12 at N.Y. Giants 62
- Rookie running back Trent Richardson rushed for 81 yards, including a 15-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He became the first Browns rookie to record a rushing touchdown in four straight games and first Brown to accomplish the feat since Peyton Hillis in 2010.
- Rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon caught two passes for 82 yards as both went for touchdowns (62 yards and 20 yards). His 62 yard score was the first of his career and is the longest play of the season for the Browns.
- The Browns did not allow a sack for the first time since September 25, 2011 against Miami.
- Wide receiver Jordan Norwood registered career-highs in receptions (nine) and receiving yards (81). His previous career-bests were five receptions (at San Francisco on October 30, 2011) and 69 yards (at Cincinnati on November 27, 2011).
- Wide receiver Joshua Cribbs returned six kickoffs for 222 yards (36.8 average), including a 74 yard return in the third quarter, which helped set up a field goal. The 74 yard return was his longest since a 103-yard return for a touchdown at Kansas City on December 20, 2009.
- Defensive back Usama Young tied a career-high with 10 tackles while adding one interception. He also had 10 tackles against Jacksonville on November 20, 2011. The interception was his first since September 18, 2011 at Indianapolis.
- Defensive back Sheldon Brown has played in 165 consecutive regular season games, a figure which currently ranks fifth among all defensive players. He recovered a fumble on the first play of the game, which helped setup a Cleveland touchdown.
- Running back Chris Ogbonnaya recorded three receptions for 54 yards, including a career-long 38 reception in the second quarter.
- Kicker Phil Dawson connected on field goals from 32 and 41 yards and improved to 10 for 10 on field goals this season. In addition, Dawson took sole possession of third place on the Browns' career regular season games played list with 204. Dawson trails only Clay Matthews (232) and Lou Groza (216).
BROWNS CAREER REGULAR SEASON GAMES PLAYED
Player Years Total
1. Clay Matthews 1978-93 232
2. Lou Groza 1950-59, 1961-67 216
3. Phil Dawson 1999-2011 204
4. Doug Dieken 1971-84 203
5 Gene Hickerson 1958-60, 1962-73 202
6. Ozzie Newsome 1978-90 198