UTICA, OH - Velvet Ice Cream has been notified that peanut products sold to their company from Sunland, Inc., which were used to make select peanut butter-flavored ice creams, may be contaminated with salmonella.
Thus, the Ohio-based ice cream manufacturer is voluntarily recalling products that may contain contaminated nut products. The recalled products are only sold at convenience stores, small, independent retailers and ice cream parlors in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. Not all peanut products sold to Velvet Ice Cream are at risk, consequently, only the items with corresponding code numbers are affected.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (ie:, infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The following products with specific code numbers are covered under the recall:
Code Number* Manufactured Date
- Velvet Supreme Peanut Butter Cup - 1/2 gallon UPC #70682-10119 10181 6/30/2010
- Velvet Peanut Butter Cup - 3 gallon UPC #70682-10539 10181 6/30/2010
- Velvet Buckeye Classic - 56oz UPC #70682-10038 10193 7/12/2010
- Velvet Buckeye Classic - 3 gallon UPC #70682-10519 10193 7/12/2010
- Velvet Buckeye Classic - 3 gallon UPC #70682-10519 12207 7/25/2012
- Velvet Buckeye Classic - 3 gallon UPC #70682-10519 12227 8/14/2012
- Velvet Buckeye Classic - pints UPC #70682-10423 12251 9/07/2012
Found on the bottom of 56oz and pint cartons, label of 3 gallon container and flap of half-gallon carton
- Buckeye Classic ice cream (Creamy peanut butter ice cream swirled with thick chocolate fudge and chocolate-covered peanut butter candies ) 56oz carton, 3 gallon containers and pints
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream (Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls) half-gallon cartons and 3 gallon containers
"The wellbeing of Velvet Ice Cream customers and the quality of our products is of the utmost importance to our company," said Velvet Ice Cream President Luconda Dager. "The moment we heard there were issues with nut products manufactured by Sunland, Inc., we took immediate steps to investigate all peanut products shipped to our company and voluntarily removed any product that may include tainted ingredients."
Customers who have purchased affected products can return them to the store of purchase for a full refund.