North Ridgeville approves crossbow deer hunting

North Ridgeville approves crossbow deer hunting

NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OH (WOIO) - City council members have passed a longbow /crossbow deer hunting ordinance, effective immediately.

There are several provisions that MUST be met before any hunting can take place.

For those wishing to register their land for the 2012-2013 long/crossbow deer hunting season (Sept.29 to Feb. 3) in the City of North Ridgeville, you will need to go to the lobby of the North Ridgeville police station and pick up the appropriate land registration form (individual parcel or multiple contiguous lands form).

There is a 5 acre minimum before your land can be registered.

Landowners can either own 5 acres outright or they may own a minimum of 2 acres and join in with other land owners who own at least 2 acres to meet the 5 acre minimum.

Upon completion return the form to the lobby of the police department and place in the collection box labeled - "COMPLETED LAND REGISTRTION FORMS."

After you submit your registration form it will be reviewed in a timely manner by the Safety Service Director and the Chief of Police.

You will be contacted by phone as to whether your land has been approved or denied for the purpose of long/cross bow hunting within the City of North Ridgeville. After receiving verbal approval by phone, your land can be hunted upon. You will receive a signed copy (SSD/Chief of Police) of your approved Land Registration Form through the mail.

If your land has been approved for deer long bow/cross bow hunting in North Ridgeville, all persons you allow to hunt upon your property during the season, in addition to their State of Ohio hunting license, must have and carry on their person an ODNR land permission slip (copy attached to this form) signed by you.

The signed ODNR permission slip will be the only document recognized by NRPD Officers as valid.

If your land has been approved for longbow/crossbow hunting of deer in the City of North Ridgeville, it is your responsibility to insure that those who hunt on your property are aware and follow all ODNR and local ordinances regarding same (an ODNR booklet and a copy of the city ordinance have been included in your packet).

Landowners need to be aware that they can be held equally and mutually culpable for any violation occurring on their site and repeated violations of law may be grounds for your land registration permit to be revoked.

*All hunters under the age of 18, must be accompanied by someone 18 years of age or older (city ordinance).

*Longbow and crossbow hunting of deer on registered sites must be carried out from an elevated platform or tree stand that is a minimum of 8 feet off the ground. No longbow or crossbow shot(s) may be taken on the ground (city ordinance).

*Hunting deer with any weapon other than a longbow or crossbow is and shall remain strictly prohibited (city ordinance).

*Longbow/crossbow season starts Sept. 29, 201 2 and ends February 3, 2013 (ODNR).

*Hours to hunt deer with longbow/crossbow are ½ hours before sunrise to ½ after sunset (ODNR).

*Total bag limit for deer in this area is four per hunter (see page six of the ODNR pamphlet). No more than one antlered deer may be taken per license year (ODNR)

If a deer is struck by an arrow on your registered piece of land but does not fall until it reaches someone else's property, hunters must gain permission from the property owner prior to entering upon their land to retrieve it.

If the property owner where the fallen deer lays does not give the hunter permission to enter upon his lands or the landowner cannot be located to gain their permission, the hunter may not retrieve the fallen deer.

Entering the land of another without permission may result in the hunter being charged with criminal trespassing.

Information for those wishing to hunt deer with longbows/crossbows.

*The only animal allowed to be hunted is Deer.

*There is no "open hunting", you must be invited onto land by a registered land owner.

*Upon invitation, you must obtain written permission from the land owner on an ODNR "permission for hunting or trapping on private land" form.

This form must be carried on your person while engaged in hunting on their property.

*You must hunt from an elevated hunting position at least 8 feet off the ground.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact NRPD at (440) 327-2191 or ODNR Wildlife District Three Office at (330) 644-2293.

Copyright 2012 WOIO. All rights reserved.