On Thursday, the Northampton County (Pa.) coroner announced that the 29-year-old Reid died of an accidental heroin overdose.
As the Philadelphia Inquirer writes, "the finding confirms what many, including the coach himself, suspected, because of Garrett Reid's history of drug abuse."
Northampton District Attorney John M. Morganelli said investigators found a syringe, a spoon and prescription medications in Garrett Reid's room at Lehigh University. When investigators searched his apartment, they found dozens of syringes and 19 vials of an unknown substance.
Morganelli also said investigators and the Philadelphia police were trying to find the person who was supplying Reid with drugs.
"These results sadly confirmed what we had expected all along," the Reid family said in a statement. "We understood that Garrett's long-standing battle with addiction was going to be difficult. He will, however, always have our family's love and respect for the courage he showed in trying to overcome it. In the end, we take comfort in our faith and know that he's in a better place. We miss Garrett. We miss his smile, his laugh and his energy and we will forever love him.
"There are many other individuals and families engaged in this struggle in their own lives, and they will always have our support, encouragement, and understanding. Never give up!"
Reid had been employed as a strength and conditioning coach with the Eagles.