NORTH OLMSTED, OH (WOIO) - The HazMat situation in North Olmsted is over.
Around 6:30 a.m., a propane tank that sits behind Waldo's Nursery on Lorain Road started leaking. Firefighters and HazMat crews were called to the scene.
"Well, the danger is it's a gas, it's combustible so if there's a spark or a fire then you would have a huge explosion," said Rocky River Fireman Frank Schaefer.
As a precaution, about 50 residents in the nearby Williamsburg Square Apartments were evacuated.
"We heard a knock on the door and they said, fire department," one resident told 19 Action News. "I went and opened the door and he said there's a propane leak, everybody's got to leave."
"We were dead asleep, so when we woke up it smelled like the propane tank went off," another resident said. "It hit you like a brick wall. It instantly made you nauseous."
Lorain Road at Clague was also closed to drivers.
"We had to close Clague because the cloud of vapor was going north down Clague, and we didn't want cars to cause a spark," Fireman Schaefer said.
Shortly after 8 a.m., crews brought the situation under control. People were let back into their homes and the roadway reopened to traffic.
Workers at Waldo's told the fire department that the gate around the propane tank is always locked at night, but when the fire department arrived, they found the gate wide open.
An investigation is underway.