The Cleveland Fire Department arrived at the 3800 block of East 99th Street around 4:30 a.m. on Thursday, December 13th to find a house already engulfed in flames.
As firefighters battled the blaze, one adult managed to escape unharmed and two others had to be rescued and taken to MetroHealth Medical Center for burns and smoke inhalation.
Everyone in the family made it out alive except for an 82-year-old woman, Patricia Collier-Reed.
Patricia Kouns says that her grandmother provided everything for the family and was the family's pillar of strength despite being ravaged by time. The family said "She had Alzheimer's and dementia really, really bad."
The deceased's three adult children were at home at the time of the fire and were the fortunate ones to make it out.
It's said that the rescue could have been delayed by the double cylinder locks on the doors and firefighters warn that 30 or 15 seconds in a fire could be crucial.
Although the house is a complete loss, that's nothing compared to the loss the family is dealing with losing a dear member of their family.
One reason the fire department has yet to determine a cause is because there was just so much stuff in the house, which had crews on the scene 6 hours later putting out flare ups.
The family is pretty sure that it may have started in her bedroom with a space heater.
Clearly the family expresses their pain by today's events and to them it seems even more tragic because it happened during this holiday season.