ORWELL, OH (WOIO) - A woman is dead and a man is in critical condition after a massive house explosion in Orwell.
Neighbors say they heard and felt the explosion on Montgomery Road for miles away.
Witnesses say a man lit a cigarette after smelling gas inside the second story of the home.
A 27-year-old woman died in the explosion. The man who lit the cigarette was flown to MetroHealth Medical Center, where he's listed in critical condition.
A fireplace is the only thing left standing of the home. Thursday morning the rubble was still smoldering.
A car on the property had its windows blown out.
Preliminary reports suggest leaking gas caused the explosion.
Like 19 Action News on Facebook for the latest news, weather, sports and giveaways.