AKRON, OH (WOIO) - The Akron Police Department will join forces with other local and state law enforcement agencies to take part in the Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over crackdown on impaired driving.
The enforcement effort begins Friday, August 15 and will last through Labor Day.
The enforcement efforts are paid for by funds passed through the Ohio Traffic Safety Office from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, to support the efforts of safety partners statewide, and focus on traffic safety priority areas such as; restraint use, impaired driving, motorcycle safety and youthful drivers.
Akron Police gives the following tips:
• If you plan to drink, designate a driver, someone who will not drink alcohol, before going out.
• Take mass transit, a taxi or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
• Spend the night where the activity is held.
• Report impaired drivers to law enforcement.
• Always buckle up, every ride, regardless of your seating position in the vehicle. It's your best defense against an impaired driver.
• If you're intoxicated and traveling on foot, the safest way to get home is to take a cab or have a sober friend or family member drive you to your doorstep.
Like 19 Action News on Facebook for the latest news, weather, sports and giveaways.