DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The City of Cleveland and the Division of Police are expecting large crowds downtown Saturday as there are three sporting events scheduled: the Cleveland Browns host the St. Louis Rams, the Cleveland Indians host the Houston Astros, and the Cleveland Gladiators host the Arizona Rattlers for the ArenaBowl championship.
The public is reminded that parking restrictions and prohibitions are put into place in downtown Cleveland for each Brown's home football game.
Traffic delays are very likely as motorists travel in and out of the area.
There will be no parking on East 9th Street, Ontario Street and marked areas of Lakeside Avenue and Prospect Road.
Signs will be posted and meters bagged in advance.
Officers warn that cars which are illegally parked will be towed at the owner's expense and can be picked up at the division's One Stop Impound Lot located at 3040 Quigley Road open 10 a.m. until midnight.
Cleveland Police advise that motorists follow these tips:
- Arrive downtown early.
- Utilize public transportation such as buses and the rapid transit system.
- If driving is necessary or desirable plan a travel route into and out of the city and have a secondary route in mind.
- Familiarize yourself with downtown parking garages and surface lots – understand that the lots nearest the ballpark generally fill up first.
- Abide by parking prohibitions (street parking is illegal on streets adjacent to Progressive Field before, during and immediately after each game).
- Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic particularly around Progressive and First Energy Stadium.