Downtown Cleveland's first community dog park set to open this m - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Downtown Cleveland's first community dog park set to open this month

Dog at PAW-ject Runway on Whiskey Island. (Source: WOIO) Dog at PAW-ject Runway on Whiskey Island. (Source: WOIO)
DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Downtown Cleveland Alliance (DCA) has successfully achieved the goal of raising $10,000 through crowd funding to build Downtown Cleveland's first outdoor dog park.

With more than 98 percent occupancy in the residential market, Downtown Cleveland is a highly populated area housing more than 12,500 people with 1,000 registered dogs. DCA recognized a need for a community dog park and in early September launched an online crowd funding campaign.  This initiative is led by DCA, in partnership with RTA, Flats Forward Inc., and the Historic Warehouse Development Corporation.

The $10,000 community goal was matched by DCA dollar-for-dollar, for a total of $20,000. About 60 percent of the $10,000 community goal came via online donations. Downtown residents made up nearly 70 percent of those who pledged online support; the other 30 percent of online donations came from Greater Clevelanders and donors outside of Ohio including pledges from New York City, Orlando and Raleigh, North Carolina. The remaining 40 percent of the $10,000 community goal came from generous support of the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District.

"Enthusiasm for this dog park was contagious," said Laura Wiegand, Director of Development for Downtown Cleveland Alliance. "The community pledged significant support and, with support from Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District and DCA's matching funds, we can now make this highly-demanded residential amenity a reality. We're thrilled our crowd funding campaign was a success and DCA can now open the park for residents and their dogs to enjoy."

Located in Settler's Landing Park, an open area adjacent to the RTA station on the eastern bank of the Cuyahoga River, the dog park will boast 4,500 square feet of play area for Downtown's canine community. Equipped with pea gravel, fencing, a gated entrance and benches for humans, the dog park is a necessary amenity for the growing neighborhood of Downtown Cleveland.

Downtown Cleveland Alliance has begun construction on the park, which will be complete within a few weeks. DCA will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony on October 13 at 11 a.m. and invites Downtown's dogs and their human friends to join.

Copyright 2014 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Top Story

special

CONNECT WITH US

Updated:

Connect with Cleveland 19! More>>

Powered by Frankly