LAKE COUNTY, OH (WOIO) - A Lake County man is in critical condition after being burned in his backyard.
The Lake County Sheriff's Office and the Painesville Township Fire Department was called to 1639 Sheffield Tr., Painesville Township just before 11 p.m. Wednesday night in reference to a man on fire.
A neighbor who heard the explosion and called 911.
53-year-old Brian Schneider was rushed to Tri-Point Medical Center for severe burns and later transferred to MetroHealth Medical Center. Rescue personnel say Mr. Schneider was conscious yet barely able to speak but he told them that he was trying to pour old gas from a container by dumping it onto a small fire pit on his concrete patio, behind his home.
It's believed that the gasoline, while being poured onto an open fire pit, ignited and followed the path back to the container in Mr. Schneider's hand and caused an explosion.
Schneider is listed in critical condition.