Senator meets with parents of teen that died of caffeine overdos - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Senator meets with parents of teen that died of caffeine overdose

Stiner died of caffeine overdose. (Source: WOIO) Stiner died of caffeine overdose. (Source: WOIO)
WASHINGTON D.C. (WOIO) -

Parents of Logan Stine, 18-year-old high school senior from LaGrange, that died from accidentally ingesting too much powdered caffeine, will meet with U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal in Washington.

They are trying to increase pressure on the Food and Drug Administration to ban the sale of powdered caffeine.

Steiner died just three days before his high school graduation after ingesting too much powdered caffeine.

In October, Brown joined Stiner's parents calling on the FDA to ban the lethal substance. Brown and Blumenthal sent a letter to the FDA Commissioner on October 23.

In Ohio alone, more than 200 people have been admitted to the hospital for caffeine overdoses, including five life-threatening cases.According to the FDA a single teaspoon of pure caffeine is roughly equivalent to the amount in 25 cups of coffee-more than six times the recommended daily amount of caffeine for an adult.

Copyright WOIO 2014. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly