CA mother 'burning' from inside out after prescription drug reaction

CA mother 'burning' from inside out after prescription drug reaction

Yaasmeen Castanada, 19, made a dangerous prescription drug decision that left her fighting for her life at a California hospital. The young mother has been diagnosed with a potentially deadly drug reaction called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Her body is literally burning from the inside out.

"Heartbreaking. Unreal, just unreal watching your daughter burn in front of you, literally," says Laura Corona, Castanada's mother.

Castanada had cold symptoms and a sore throat on Thanksgiving, so she took an antibiotic a friend gave her. Shortly after, the teen's body was covered with huge blisters, her eyes burning.

"All her lips were gone. She was just bleeding everywhere. Her throat was shutting down," says Corona.

Castanada underwent surgery, where doctors scraped the skin on her body to encourage new growth.

"The immune system goes haywire," says Dr. Frank Esper.
University Hospital's Doctor Frank Esper, who is the Associate Professor of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, says this case serves as a warning: Never share medicine and be aware of any potential allergies you may have.

"Especially when you're sharing antibiotics with someone else. You don't know what kind of reactions they had before. You don't know what kind of medications they're taking and so sometimes you can get these really bad reactions," explains Esper. 

Esper says talk to your doctor before taking leftover meds you may have in your cabinet and if you break out in hives, feel nauseous or vomit with any meds call your physician right away.

Castanada's GoFundMe site has already raised more than $15,000 by Thursday night.

Another patient with the same syndrome spent two months at the same hospital, and went home a few days ago. Castanada's mother hopes for the same.

Copyright 2014 WOIO. All rights reserved.