3 released from hospital after apartments fill with lethal CO le - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

3 released from hospital after apartments fill with lethal CO levels

Three victims have been released from the hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment complex. (Source: WOIO) Three victims have been released from the hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment complex. (Source: WOIO)
Crews on scene said levels were so high they could have been fatal. (Source: WOIO) Crews on scene said levels were so high they could have been fatal. (Source: WOIO)
  • Surfing the WebMore>>

  • How to recognize symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

    How to recognize symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

    Thursday, January 29 2015 10:09 PM EST2015-01-30 03:09:32 GMT
    Thursday, January 29 2015 10:35 PM EST2015-01-30 03:35:05 GMT
    It was a close call for two families on Cleveland's west side after they became exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment complex. Would you recognize symptoms if you were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning?More >>
    It was a close call for two families on Cleveland's west side after they became exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment complex. Would you recognize symptoms if you were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning?More >>
  • 5 hospitalized after possible carbon monoxide poisoning

    5 hospitalized after possible carbon monoxide poisoning

    Wednesday, January 28 2015 9:01 PM EST2015-01-29 02:01:33 GMT
    Thursday, January 29 2015 9:08 AM EST2015-01-29 14:08:08 GMT
    Cleveland EMS says several people have been transported to a hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning from an apartment complex on the city's west side.More >>
    Cleveland EMS says several people have been transported to a hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning from an apartment complex on the city's west side.More >>

A 25-year-old mom and her two young children, ages 5 and 6, have been released from the hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in their apartment Wednesday evening.

The Red Cross is currently helping them.

A 35-year-old mom and her 9-year-old daughter remain at MetroHealth.

A man in a third apartment was advised by Cleveland firefighters to get checked out, but he refused to go.

Firefighters checked neighboring residents to make sure no one else was affected. Many left windows open to air out their apartments.

"We were very fortunate. Obviously, they had some exposure for some period of time and thankfully, they didn't go to sleep and the mother reacted appropriately," said assistant fire chief Tim O'Toole.

Dominion Gas crews say they traced the source of the carbon monoxide to a boiler in an apartment at Neal Terrace on West 88th Street and Detroit Avenue.

The gas has been shut off while repairs are made. Crews on the scene said the carbon monoxide detectors were malfunctioning and levels were so high that the victims could have died.

Fire officials say it's imperative to check heating equipment in your home annually.

Copyright 2015 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly