How to recognize symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

How to recognize symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

After multiple cases of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Cleveland apartment complex, fire officials offer tips to keep your family safe. (Source: WOIO) After multiple cases of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Cleveland apartment complex, fire officials offer tips to keep your family safe. (Source: WOIO)

Would you recognize symptoms if you were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning?

It was a close call for two families on Cleveland's west side after they became exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment complex.

Their carbon monoxide detectors were malfunctioning and officials say levels were so high the victims could have died. 

We checked in with the Cleveland Fire Department for tips to keep you safe.

Officials say a boiler was the source of the carbon monoxide that affected multiple families in the apartments at Neal Terrace on West 88th Street and Detroit Avenue.

A 5 and 6-year-old were unconscious before paramedics arrived at the scene. Their mother's quick reaction helped save them and fire officials say it's important to learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Nausea, headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness. Those are the symptoms similar to flu-like symptoms," said Larry Gray with the CFD.

Experts say a certified technician should inspect your boiler. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. There are signs you should look for in your home that indicate there's a problem.

"You want to look for sweat coming down your walls, your windows. It'll actually start coming down your television screens, start coming down your clocks," said Gray.

A certified technician should inspect boilers every year and you should have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

Copyright 2015 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly