Space heaters a hot commodity - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Space heaters a hot commodity

With space heaters in high demand during these frigid temps, experts offer tips to safely use them. (Source: WOIO) With space heaters in high demand during these frigid temps, experts offer tips to safely use them. (Source: WOIO)
  • Surfing the WebMore>>

  • Space heater may be to blame for house fire

    Space heater may be to blame for house fire

    Monday, February 16 2015 4:21 PM EST2015-02-16 21:21:04 GMT
    Monday, February 16 2015 4:27 PM EST2015-02-16 21:27:14 GMT
    A space heater may be to blame for an early morning house fire that claimed the life of one woman's dog.More >>
    A space heater may be to blame for an early morning house fire that claimed the life of one woman's dog.More >>
  • Cleveland renters say they're being left in the cold

    Cleveland renters say they're being left in the cold

    Sunday, February 15 2015 3:38 PM EST2015-02-15 20:38:35 GMT
    Sunday, February 15 2015 4:32 PM EST2015-02-15 21:32:19 GMT

    The name Vista Del Sol apartments sounds so sunny and warm, but many who live at the housing complex in Cleveland, say the sun does shine, but there's no way their units are warm.

    More >>

    The name Vista Del Sol apartments sounds so sunny and warm, but many who live at the housing complex in Cleveland, say the sun does shine, but there's no way their units are warm.

    More >>
  • Space heaters suspected cause of Akron fire

    Space heaters suspected cause of Akron fire

    Friday, January 30 2015 8:16 AM EST2015-01-30 13:16:33 GMT
    Tuesday, February 3 2015 11:41 AM EST2015-02-03 16:41:54 GMT
    Akron Fire Department officials say they're looking into space heaters as a possible cause of Thursday's fire on Barbara Avenue. The space heaters were heating the home, because there was no furnace.More >>
    Akron Fire Department officials say they're looking into space heaters as a possible cause of Thursday's fire on Barbara Avenue. The space heaters were heating the home, because there was no furnace.More >>
  • Space heater leads to fire that killed 15 horses

    Space heater leads to fire that killed 15 horses

    Thursday, January 8 2015 12:23 PM EST2015-01-08 17:23:12 GMT
    Monday, January 12 2015 12:42 PM EST2015-01-12 17:42:19 GMT
    Fire officials in Tallmadge say a space heater being used to unfreeze pipes is what caused a fire that killed 15 horses in barn last week.
    Crews were called out to Mindale Farms at 892 East Howe Road around 11:30 a.m. on January 8, 2015.
    More >>
    Fire officials in Tallmadge say a space heater being used to unfreeze pipes is what caused a fire that killed 15 horses in barn last week.
    Crews were called out to Mindale Farms at 892 East Howe Road around 11:30 a.m. on January 8, 2015.
    More >>
  • Space Heater safety

    Space Heater safety

    It's winter in Northeastern Ohio and temperatures are dropping daily. Staying warm is important, and often times people turn to space heaters to supplement the heating in their homes.  Unfortunately acrossMore >>
    It's winter in Northeastern Ohio and temperatures are dropping daily. Staying warm is important, and often times people turn to space heaters to supplement the heating in their homes.  Unfortunately acrossMore >>
(WOIO) -

Many of us use space heaters to keep warm, especially in drafty, older homes. Experts warn of precautions everyone should take to stay safe. 

Tom Terry is searching for a space heater for his home, but unfortunately, he's come up empty.
 
"They're all out over here. We got one furnace in the house and in the other part of the house, we use this other heater, and that went out," says Terry.
 
The shelves are bare at the Brooklyn Lowe's and more than a dozen other of their stores in the Cleveland area. Employees say last week alone they sold more than 60 space heaters. They're having a tough time keeping up with the demand.
 
"It's been crazy. Every time we get them in off the truck, customers are waiting for them, giving us their phone numbers to call them when they come in. As soon as we pull them out and onto the floor, even before we stack them on the shelf, people are taking them off the palate," says Parma Lowe's assistant store manager, Adam Callahan.
 
Parma Fire Department's Doug Turner says if not used properly, space heaters can be dangerous.

"Follow manufacturers recommendations. Keep a 3-feet area around and clear. Keep kids and pets clear of it. Don't use extension cords with the heater," says Turner.
 
Firefighters want to remind people no matter what, you should always have working carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your home, especially if you're using a space heater.
 
Turner says your best bet is to bundle up with blankets.
 
Terry hopes he can warm up with a heater -- that's if he can get his hands on one.

"I'm going to have to do something. Probably stop at another store," he says.
 
Experts say check to make sure your space heater has a "UL" safety stamp on it.

Another safety reminder from the fire department: Don't use your oven to warm your home.

Copyright 2015 WOIO. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly