MADISON, OH (WOIO) - A local country club went up in flames overnight. The massive fire erupted inside
in Lake County on 6131 Chapel Road. A passerby spotted the fire from the road around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.
When firefighters arrived, the building was engulfed in flames. The fire department says the fire started in the middle of the building and spread quickly. A total of 24 fire companies were called to the scene, 45 firefighters in all.
Crews had an issue with water pressure because they had so many hoses on the flames. By 4:30 a.m., the fire was under control, but continued to burn.
"We have been at it for three hours. The fire was way ahead of us before we ever got here," said Madison Fire Chief Gene Lutz.
The building, which dates back to 1923, has been destroyed.
No one was inside at the time of the fire.
No cause has been determined.