Nonsmoking woman believes radon caused her lung cancer - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Nonsmoking woman believes radon caused her lung cancer

Marcie Hogle, a nonsmoker, believes her lung cancer was caused by radon. (Source: WOIO) Marcie Hogle, a nonsmoker, believes her lung cancer was caused by radon. (Source: WOIO)
A lung cancer awareness group learned of Marcie's case and hooked up her and her husband with S.W.A.T., a radon removal company. (Source: WOIO) A lung cancer awareness group learned of Marcie's case and hooked up her and her husband with S.W.A.T., a radon removal company. (Source: WOIO)
When a radon reduction system is being installed, everything must be tightly sealed for it to work properly. (Source: WOIO) When a radon reduction system is being installed, everything must be tightly sealed for it to work properly. (Source: WOIO)
BELLVILLE, OH (WOIO) -

It is the number one cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers and it could be in your house. One woman believes radon in her home made her sick.

One thing becomes quickly clear when a radon reduction system is being installed, everything must be tightly sealed for it to work properly, according to removal expert Tony Mowrer, who installed a system in Marcie and Dave Hogle's home.  

"Any holes in the concrete, the radon gas can come up through the soil. We seal that. We're pulling air from beneath the foundation. That's where the radon is coming from, the soil, the uranium. So we grab it before it gets in the house. And that's basically the ventilation system you see," said Mowrer.

There is a very serious reason the Hogles are having the system installed. They believe Marcie's lung cancer was caused by radon. Neither has ever smoked cigarettes. Still, two-thirds of her lung had to be removed. Marcie says it began innocently. 

"A persistent cough, went to the doctor and stuff, and he said, 'Oh, we'll do some chest X-rays.' And it showed what they thought was pneumonia at the time and later come to find out it wasn't."

It was level 3A cancer. Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers and the number two cause overall.

A lung cancer awareness group learned of Marcie's case and hooked the Hogles with S.W.A.T., a radon removal company.  

Owner Tony Mowrer says most radon problems are found accidentally.  

"Most of our business is in the real estate transaction and that's where somebody comes in and tests during an inspection. So a lot of homeowners don't know that they're living in high levels. Anything above a four is considered dangerous. Levels at the Hogle's were in the teens and higher," explained Mowrer.

Click here for more information on radon in your home.

Click here to learn more about Ohio's Indoor Radon Program.

Copyright 2015 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Seen on 19Seen on 19More>>

  • Cleveland Zoo welcomes new gorillas to exhibit

    Cleveland Zoo welcomes new gorillas to exhibit

    Thursday, September 21 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-09-21 13:04:28 GMT
    Cleveland Metroparks Zoo welcomes two new female gorillas. (Source: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo)Cleveland Metroparks Zoo welcomes two new female gorillas. (Source: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo)

    A pair of gorillas now make their home at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The zoo is welcoming two new female gorillas ahead of World Gorilla Day, Sept. 24. "Fredrika" (or Freddy) is 43-year-old from Zoo Miami in Miami, FL and 26-year-old and "Kebi Moya" (or Kebi) comes to Cleveland from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Powell, OH. 

    More >>

    A pair of gorillas now make their home at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The zoo is welcoming two new female gorillas ahead of World Gorilla Day, Sept. 24. "Fredrika" (or Freddy) is 43-year-old from Zoo Miami in Miami, FL and 26-year-old and "Kebi Moya" (or Kebi) comes to Cleveland from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium in Powell, OH. 

    More >>
  • FREE queso at Moe's all day

    FREE queso at Moe's all day

    Thursday, September 21 2017 8:04 AM EDT2017-09-21 12:04:11 GMT
    Free Queso Day at Moe's. (Source: Facebook)Free Queso Day at Moe's. (Source: Facebook)

    If you like free food, then today is your lucky day.  

    More >>

    If you like free food, then today is your lucky day.  

    More >>
  • Data breach: Medical Mutual employee sends private information for thousands to wrong email

    Data breach: Medical Mutual employee sends private information for thousands to wrong email

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 7:31 PM EDT2017-09-20 23:31:07 GMT
    Medical Mutual of Ohio headquarters in downtown Cleveland (Source: Facebook)Medical Mutual of Ohio headquarters in downtown Cleveland (Source: Facebook)

    Medical Mutual of Ohio has confirmed that an employee sent 45 emails to the wrong person containing personal information for more than 6,000 of its Medicare Advantage customers.  According to a spokesperson for Med Mutual, based in Cleveland, this was an accident because the employee typed in an incorrect email address and the data was going to a third party that didn't have authorization to be looking at private information.  

    More >>

    Medical Mutual of Ohio has confirmed that an employee sent 45 emails to the wrong person containing personal information for more than 6,000 of its Medicare Advantage customers.  According to a spokesperson for Med Mutual, based in Cleveland, this was an accident because the employee typed in an incorrect email address and the data was going to a third party that didn't have authorization to be looking at private information.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly