Woman dies in Cleveland Heights jail

Woman dies in Cleveland Heights jail

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH (WOIO) - An investigation has launched after a 37-year-old Cleveland woman died in jail over the weekend.

Ralkina Jones died at the Cleveland Heights Police Station Jail located at 40 Severance Circle on Sunday.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on Monday and identified no suspicious injuries. A cause of death is pending further studies.

Family members say she was arrested Friday after an argument with her ex-husband Brandon at his workplace.

Jones was facing charges of assault, domestic violence, endangering a child and criminal mischief.

Cleveland Heights police say Jones attacked her ex outside of a Save-A-Lot. They say she broke his car window and try to smash the windshield with a tire iron, which police say she then turned on Brandon, hitting his arm.

Police say Jones got into her car and came just a few feet away from running over her ex and his friend.

Jones's 12-year-old daughter was in the backseat.

police say Jones seemed lethargic when they checked on her in jail.

She was given medication for prior health problems and taken to the hospital around 7:15 p.m., where she was evaluated and released.

Police say they took her back to the jail at 10:40 p.m. Saturday.

They say paramedics checked on her around 12:45 a.m. Sunday and her vitals looked fine.

From there, police say someone periodically check on her.

Jones was found dead in her jail cell just after 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Her family is shocked and has many questions for police.

"She passed in two days, she was doing just fine," said Fred Johnson, Jones's cousin.

Her sister Renee Ashford saw her at the jail after she was arrested.

"I went to see her Saturday morning, me and my sister went to take her her medication. We had a talk and she was fine," Ashford said.

Jones's sisters say she had health issues, including a brain aneurysm and a heart murmur.

They say she carried a list of those problems with her everywhere she went.

"How do you release someone within two hours from going to an ER room? You know, just in such a hurry to take her back to jail," Ashford said.

Jones was the oldest of seven sisters. Her family says she had never been arrested before.

"If she made a mistake and made the wrong decisions, she doesn't deserve to be neglected knowing she has health issues," said her sister Rita Samuels.

Copyright 2015 WOIO. All rights reserved.