Sweetener used in sugarless gum can kill dogs - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Sweetener used in sugarless gum can kill dogs

Dog dies after eating sugarless gum (CBS) Dog dies after eating sugarless gum (CBS)
CBS -

A sweetener used in some sugarless gum and other products could kill your dog, CBS news reported.

Calls to the ASPCAs poison helpline due to Xylitol went from 82 in 2004 to more than 3,700 last year, CBS national correspondent Chip Reid reported.

Xylitol is a type of no-calorie sweetener used in sugar-free gum, candies, chewable vitamins, even some baked goods and peanut butter.

It’s OK for humans, but in dogs the substance can cause brain damage, seizures, liver damage and death.

Samantha Caress’ dog died in April after getting into some chewing gum made with the sugar-substitute Xylitol. She started vomiting, they rushed her to the vet, but it was too late.

Warning signs include:

  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Collapsing

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned go directly to the vet.

Some animal welfare groups are calling for warning labels on products with Xylitol.

Doctors says dog owners should check the labels of all products that say "sugar-free." And anything that contains Xylitol should be put in the top cabinets.

Powered by Frankly