KIRTLAND, OH (WOIO) - Remember the board game, Candy Land? The Penitentiary Glen Nature Center in Kirtland puts a unique twist on it.
On a life-sized game board, discover the many "natural" flavors that nature provides as you play and travel through the seasons in an indoor wonderland. Draw a card, move from space to space, and explore nature through the year.
Game play starts Saturday, Nov. 21 and ends Sunday, Jan. 3. The exhibit is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Eve. It's free to play and the exhibit runs from 12-5 p.m.
Continue your adventure with hands-on activities both indoors and out:
- Indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts that explore nature.
- Coloring pages and activity sheets.
- Make a "s'more-nament" craft to take home.
- Try your hand at feeding a live chickadee outdoors – with the Bird in Hand program.
- Watch and listen for wildlife at the many bird feeders in the Nature Center's Window on Wildlife.
- Explore the many Nature Center exhibits.
- Sit, relax and enjoy refreshments in Snowshoe Lodge.
- Shop in The Nature Store for great nature and wildlife-inspired holiday gift ideas.
- Go for an adventurous walk on the Peppermint Trail using snowshoes. Rentals are available through the season as weather permits. Adults cost $3/hour or $12/day. Children cost $1.50/hour or $6/day.
- Visit the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center animal rehabilitation facility to learn about and meet native Ohio wildlife up close. View a red fox, a bald eagle and many other birds of prey.
- Make this year's gift a wild one! The "Adopt an Animal" program provides a unique, thoughtful gift idea that helps to cover the cost of animal care. Get more information at The Wildlife Center.
- Explore more than 8.5 miles of hiking trails open year round.
Taking part in the festivities? Send us your photos at email@example.com and we'll add them to our slideshow!