LAKE COUNTY, OH (WOIO) - Cold temperatures aren't just hard on you, they can be deadly for your furry friends.
The Lake County Humane Society put together some important tips to remember for keeping your pets safe.
- Keep your pets INDOORS! Only take your dog out for quick potty breaks and avoid walks when temperatures are too low.
- Before starting your car, be sure to bang on the hood or honk your horn. Cats often crawl in/under cars for warmth.
- Keep your pets far away from poisonous antifreeze and use only pet safe deicers to keep your pets and other animals safe.
- Microchip your pets and keep ID tags on them at all times so that if they are lost they can be returned home as quickly as possible.
- Keep your pets at home! Avoid car rides when the temperatures drop as cars can quickly become a refrigerator when turned off.
If you witness a pet being left outdoors in inclement weather in Lake County, please call Lake Humane Society's Humane Investigations Department at (440) 951-6122, extension 105, in addition to your local police department. Outside of Lake County? Contact your local humane society and police department.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.