Exploding hoverboard causes fire in Orange home - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Exploding hoverboard causes fire in Orange home

Exploding hoverboard causes fire in Orange Village home. (Source: Orange Village fire) Exploding hoverboard causes fire in Orange Village home. (Source: Orange Village fire)
ORANGE VILLAGE, OH (WOIO) -

An Orange Village family escaped a near tragedy.

This after fire department officials said a basement fire was caused by a hoverboard.

Residents were able to put the fire out before crews arrived, but not before the fire did minor damage to the home.

Firefighters say the situation could have been much worse if the occupants hadn't had a fire extinguisher.

Last month, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was investigating 39 hoverboard fires in 19 states, up from 12 incidents reported in December.

The commission was focusing its investigation on the lithium-ion batteries that power the boards and "their interaction with the circuit boards inside the units," according to a statement from commission Chairman Elliot F. Kaye. The commission has said poorly designed batteries can overheat and are prone to explosion.

Follow Cleveland 19 News:  

Download the Cleveland 19 News app

Copyright 2016 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly