LYNDHURST, OH (WOIO) - A Lyndhurst man escaped injury after an electronic cigarette battery exploded and caught fire in his pocket.
Firefighters responded to a business for a fire alarm activation. While en route, they learned there was no fire, but an e-cig rechargeable battery had exploded inside a pocket of one of the workers. Luckily, the man was not injured.
"There have been other incidents around the country where people have not been so fortunate," said Lyndhurst Fire Chief Michael Carroll.
That's why Lyndhurst firefighters are trying to spread an important message to keep e-cig users, and others, safe. Experts say following the manufacturers' recommendations is key.
"The proper batteries that come with the e-cigarettes. You don't want to use an off-brand battery. You also want to use the proper charger that you get with the e-cigarette," explained Carroll.
The manager at Cloud Chamber in Sheffield Village showed Cleveland 19 an exploded e-cig battery. He suggests to never store the device or batteries on you or in a hot car. Instead, keep the batteries in cases in a special pouch outside your pocket.
"They're 30 amp or 35 amp batteries. If it has a short, it can discharge and blow up. Some of the things you want to look out for is tearing on the batteries itself," said Matthew Sample.
Also, never leave batteries charging unattended and be sure to keep them away from copper or metal, such as car keys or loose change.
About a year and a half ago the U.S. Fire Administration put out a report that detailed the potential hazards of e-cigarettes and safety measures.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.