Good Samaritan shoots alleged Oakwood abductor; Brandi Shakir OK, out of hospital

Oakwood Village woman OK after alleged abductor shot in Erie, Pa.
Police gather at Crescent Dr. home. (Source:
Police gather at Crescent Dr. home. (Source:
Kyle Johnson (Source: Oakwood Village Police)
Kyle Johnson (Source: Oakwood Village Police)
Current picture of Brandi Shakir. (Source: Oakwood Village Police)
Current picture of Brandi Shakir. (Source: Oakwood Village Police)
Brandi Shakir. (Source: Oakwood Village)
Brandi Shakir. (Source: Oakwood Village)

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Erie Police say Brandi Shakir is out of the hospital.

Shakir, the victim of an alleged beating and abduction Monday in Oakwood Village, was at the center of a search for suspect Kyle Johnson.

Johnson was among the three people injured in Erie, Pa., Tuesday morning, Erie police said.

Officials told Cleveland 19 that Johnson, 25, was located Tuesday morning, along with Shakir, on Erie's west side.

According to Erie Police Deputy Chief Don Dacus, two good Samaritans went to a Crescent Drive home after hearing cries for help.

Johnson, who was inside the home, had beaten the homeowner and and his wife, police said. Shakir, who was inside, was in the basement.

The neighbors called 911 and tried to hold Johnson until police arrived but Johnson broke free. He was shot twice, in the leg and abdomen, by one of the neighbors. After being shot, Johnson ran down a nearby ravine toward the Erie Yacht Club, where he was caught. He was transported to a local hospital and taken into custody.

The male homeowner has also been released from the hospital, but his wife is fighting for her life in the ICU at UPMC Harmot. 

The couple owns the Sandbar, a bar and restaurant in Erie. Police say Johnson broke into their house at random.

Diana Ferguson lives across the street in this quiet neighborhood near Lake Erie.

"I saw a man walk down the street in a sweatshirt, and after that all hell broke loose and I saw a policeman running down the street, they had their guns drawn. I could smell the acrid smell of shots," she said.

Ferguson says she saw Shakir too.

"She ran up to police, she was disheveled. They put her in an ambulance and I never saw him," Ferguson said.

Shakir sustained additional injuries and was in stable condition before being released Tuesday night. Police did not confirm the details of her injuries.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Oakwood Village police thanked The FBI, US Marshals and Erie Police for their help.

"I believe bringing the agencies in as quickly as we did; the FBI, US Marshals and BCI coming in, it enabled us to get the information out fast and reach out to other agencies. It was a fast developing case led to this resolution," said Oakwood Village Police Chief Mark Garratt.

Chief Garratt said they all wanted to get Johnson behind bars.

"To do that kind of abuse that he did, you saw the pictures, to a young lady like that is just absolutely preposterous. It made all of us very angry to see that type of activity from someone. We really wanted to get him in custody. Thank God it worked out the way it did," said Chief Garratt.

Late in the afternoon, Johnson's black Acura was towed from the house's driveway.

"Why pick this house?" Ferguson said. "Could've been my house."

Johnson was arraigned Tuesday evening with $500,000 cash bond, and will spend the night in Erie County jail.

Oakwood Village police said they received dozens of leads from people by 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Chief Garratt was more than happy to deliver the news to Shakir's family.

"Mom is ecstatic. A lot of the family members were around her at the time. I could hear the screaming, a lot of excitement," said Garratt.

Police had searched for Johnson and Shakir since Monday morning when he allegedly took Shakir from her mother's home.

Police said Johnson abducted Shakir after he set fire to the house.

Just last week, police said Johnson assaulted Shakir, leaving her with two black eyes and a broken eye socket. Reports indicated Shakir had a restraining order against Johnson. Police said Johnson had a warrant out for felonious assault.

Oakwood Village police said they will travel to Erie to bring Johnson back to Ohio.

Follow Cleveland 19 News:  

Download the Cleveland 19 News app

Copyright 2016 WOIO. All rights reserved.