CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - Sports Director Tony Zarrella's final thoughts on Round 1 of the playoff series. (Hear what Coach Lue says about going into Round 2 in the video player above.)
- There aren't a lot of sure things in life, but LeBron winning Round 1 is among them. He has yet to lose an opening series in his career, and has now led his teams to four straight sweeps in Round 1.
- I know I'm repeating myself, but Kyrie Irving was the star of this series. He came out in the third quarter and turned a tight game into an 11-point lead by rattling off 10-straight points for the Cavaliers. Irving closed out the quarter with a half-court buzzer-beater, and with :42 left in the game, stunned the Pistons and the Palace crowd again with a clutch "3" that put the Cavs up 4. Irving finished with 31 points, and averaged almost 28/gm in the series.
- Much respect to a young Pistons team that is one or two star players, and one or two years away, but made this first-round series, even in a sweep, tougher than many fans and media members expected.
The Cavs now rest for a few days, as they await the winner of the Atlanta-Boston series, which is tied at two apiece.
Sports Director Tony Zarrella give his thoughts on the first half.
- I asked Rafael Hernandez-Brito, the Spanish voice of the Cavaliers, before the game on our live Facebook chat who he thought would step up tonight. He said his favorite player, J.R. Smith. Two quarters in, Swish has gone for 12 points. He's been tremendous in this series.
- LeBron has thrown down 16, but just as impressive, Love has pulled down 10. As in rebounds. But overall the Pistons have a 24-23 edge in rebounds.
- As I write this, Flo Rida is singing "My House" at center court.
- With 5:21 left in the first half, we witnessed the seemingly impossible. Andre Drummond made two free throws. It actually brought the crowd to its feet.
- A lot of people were concerned that the Pistons would get frustrated and take more cheap shots as the Cavs threaten to close them out. Didn't happen in the first half. Hope they stay the course.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.