TWINSBURG, OH (WOIO) - Many consider it one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of a salon visit, the shampoo bowl. But, seems it's actually the part of your visit that can be the most dangerous.
"It can sometimes cause the arteries in the back of the neck to get closed off, leading to a lack of blood supply to the brain and ultimately a stroke" explained University Hospitals neurosurgeon, Dr. Warren Selman.
In fact, there's a name for it: Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome. While it's rare, it's very real, as one San Diego woman, a victim of it, knows all too well as she is spreading the word. It's even surprising to many stylists, who are learning to take extra precautions at the shampoo bowl now.
Tonight on Cleveland 19 at 11, health reporter, Catherine Bosley explains more of the risk, and what you can do to protect yourself at the salon.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.