Evacuation Lifted: Cleveland Clinic workers being let back in af - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

breaking

Evacuation Lifted: Cleveland Clinic workers being let back in after gas leak

Lawn mower operator runs over gas line. (Source: Viewer) Lawn mower operator runs over gas line. (Source: Viewer)
AVON, OH (WOIO) -

Workers at Cleveland Clinic in Avon are headed back to work. Most of the employees were evacuated Thursday morning due to a large gas leak. 

The leak started a fire around 10 a.m. when a lawn mower operator ran over a gas line. 

Police are asking people to avoid the area around the Richard E. Jacobs building

Following the incident, Columbia Gas released the following statement:

Columbia Gas crews have made the situation safe at the Richard E. Jacobs Health Center at 33100 Cleveland Clinic Blvd. in Avon.  A riding lawn mower damaged a gas line, and escaping gas ignited. Our crews quickly shut off the gas, and the fire has been extinguished. The evacuation has been lifted. We will be on the scene making repairs for several hours so that we can restore gas service to the hospital. Thank you to emergency responders for their great work.

This situation is a good reminder to be careful when mowing around gas meters and gas lines. If you damage your gas lines or smell gas, leave the area immediately and call 911 and Columbia Gas at 1-800-344-4077, and wait for our crew to arrive.

Follow Cleveland 19 News: 

Download the Cleveland 19 News app

Copyright 2016 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly