MEDINA, OH (WOIO) - My name is John Baron.
I live in Medina with my wife, MaryBeth.
One night last year, I was getting ready to grill steaks and relax with family and friends. Summer nights in my backyard always included fireworks.
That night, it appears that one of them wouldn't light. I went to check on it, and that's when something went terribly wrong. A life flight brought me to MetroHealth's Burn Center -- one of the best in the country. Their team saved my life.
The blast caused second-degree burns on my head, face, and my eyes. It broke my jaw, my cheek bones, my eye sockets, and my nose -- a total of more than 200 fractures -- and nearly every tooth was gone.
Fourteen surgeries later, here I am. This is what playing with fireworks can do. None of us believe it can happen to us, but I am here to tell you that it can.
Please leave the fireworks to the experts.
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.