CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The Cleveland police department wants guns off the streets. The department is offering incentives to anyone willing to turn in their guns this weekend.
They are offering a $200 gift card for semi-automatic guns, and $100 for handguns. The event is sponsored by the Cleveland Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Dave's Supermarkets.
How to Participate:
1. Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle to the Third District Headquarters located at 4501 Chester Avenue on Sunday, Dec. 4, between the hours of noon and 4 p.m.
2. The weapon must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)
3. Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
4. Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given.
5. Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
6. After the officers determine that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle.
"The annual Gun Buy Back allows us to partner with the community to take guns off of our streets," said Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams. "Programs like the Gun Buyback save lives. We are proud to once again participate in this and appreciate the sponsorship provided by the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Dave's Supermarkets. Without their support, this would not be possible."
Download the Cleveland 19 News app.