A closer look at the delay between this week's Willoughby kidnapping, statewide text alert

DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - It took nearly three hours for an Amber Alert to be issued earlier this week.

Once officers realize there's a missing child case that meets criteria for an Amber Alert, they pass it on to the Cuyahoga Emergency Communications System. That agency then issues the alert to the public.

However, it took nearly two hours for them to do that Tuesday.

Cleveland 19 asked the supervisor why.

"I can't answer that," he said, before transferring reporter Alyson Bruner to a spokesperson.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol handles the text alert that goes to cellphones. They say they were notified Tuesday at 11:55 a.m., and minutes after the text alert went out.

Still, that's four hours after the kidnapping.

Here's the breakdown: around 8:30 a.m., the family alerted Willoughby police about the kidnapping. Willoughby police notified the Cuyahoga Emergency Communications System about an hour later. From there it took three hours before the statewide text alert went out.

Even the Willoughby police chief agrees, he would've liked to see a quicker process.

"I certainly would of liked to see the alerts out as soon as possible," said Chief Christopher Collins. "We have to go through the process, and that takes some time."

Thankfully the kids in this week's case are safe. Clarence Davis is still on the run, however.

Copyright 2017 WOIO. All rights reserved.