McDonald's franchise owner: Suspected Facebook shooter 'said he had to go'

ERIE, PA (WOIO) - Steve Stephens' white Ford Fusion sat surrounded by Pennsylvania State Police cruisers for hours Tuesday after the suspected Facebook killer turned the gun on himself, according to authorities.

"Everybody keeps saying it was a shootout, it wasn't a shootout. He just killed himself right there in that car," said witness Tyhee Page.

Page was walking down Buffalo Road just after 11 a.m. He was about a block away from the chase. He said he saw and heard everything.

"You did hear the gunshot ... just one long gunshot," Page said.

The scene where Stephens took his own life is about two miles from where a McDonald's worker first spotted him. He was wanted by police nationwide for killing Robert Godwin Sr., an innocent 74-year-old man walking Cleveland's east side on Easter Sunday.

PA State Police: 'We don't believe Steve Stephens had any accomplices'

The McDonald's franchise owner described Stephens' demeanor.

"He looked like he was a little nerved up, a little agitated, and then just didn't want to wait. He said he had to go. So, I'm thinking, at that point he might've been thinking that someone in the store recognized him and he was trying to get out of here," said Thomas DuCharme Jr.

A McDonald's worker quickly called 911. It didn't take long for Pennsylvania State Police to catch up to Stephens.

Troopers tried to disable his car. That's when Stephens pulled out a gun and killed himself.

"All I seen out of my rear view mirror was the white Ford did, like spun around, and then it stopped. Then I heard this loud noise," a witness told Cleveland 19.

The woman believes the noise she heard was a bullet.

"It was like you were watching a movie, just live. I've never seen anything like that," she said.

Tuesday evening, tow trucks took away the Ford Fusion everyone had been looking for for days. Many people in Erie, Pennsylvania said they're happy the scare and uncertainty is finally over.

"After seeing it all register like, he was actually really here," Page said.

Still, even strangers said they know this ending doesn't take away the pain Godwin's family must feel.

"It's just sad for both families, my heart goes out for both really," said a witness.

Police said they believe Stephens acted alone.

There were also questions about his cell phone potentially pinging in Erie, Pennsylvania early on in the search. Police said Tuesday they have no knowledge of that.

Copyright 2017 WOIO. All rights reserved.